LTE in re: Skills Center’s importance

LTE

Only nineteen percent of children entering 10th grade locally will leave some educational institution with a “certificate” 10 years later.

This seems to indicate our educational system is devoting virtually all of it’s resources to 19% of it’s student population, while making virtually scant provisions for the other 81 % of students who will also have to prepare for their futures and feed their families.

This is not new information.

But, as we know, education is business, and money-oriented.We hear today how the root cause in Clallam Countys’ education issue is competition for students–for the per-student funds they represent. Once again, as with so many institutions, public and private, it comes down to finding funds to pay for salaries, to keep the institution going. Or another way of saying this, the employees of the institution work to maintain the institution, so that they have salaries.

So, the vast majority of our (student) population goes virtually un-served, and the School Board shuts down one of the few venues that caters for that need, using the excuse of the costs of providing those meager services, a tiny fraction of the Districts multi-million dollar annual operating budget, as a reason.

19% gets virtually all resources.

81% gets virtually nothing.

Does this make sense?

–Tyler

2 Comments

  1. Anonymous

    How many different schools are fighting each other for students in Clallam County? High schools in Port Angeles, Sequim, Joyce, Forks and where else? The Peninsula College is also involved, trying to get students to enroll in their jobs training classes, too?

    From the post above, it sounds like real-life skills training should be a much bigger focus than it presently is. It sounds like the school district needs to go back to the drawing board, factoring in the realities of today’s world, and see how they can do best by all the students, not just the “19%”.

    Reply
  2. Alan Clark

    It is important to remember that school districts, serving K – 12 students, are required to follow the educational guidelines established by the Washington state’s OSPI. Real-life skills training has largely vanished from the educational scene. A few years back I watched as shop facilities were dismantled, despite administrators and instructional staff’s misgivings. Districts can only “go back to the drawing board” if the state allows them to.

    Reply

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*